FORCE: For Gene Positive Women
This has been a week full of conversations with women who are genetically positive (BRCA1 and/or BRCA2) and trying to make decisions about their care. This is always a very difficult decision, but there is an organization that can be extremely helpful both in getting information and finding support.
It is called FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered), and here is some information from their excellent website:
FORCE's Mission is:
To improve the lives of individuals and families affected by hereditary breast and ovarian cancer
To this end, FORCE has eight mission objectives:
- To provide women with resources to determine whether they are at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer due to genetic predisposition, family history, or other factors.
- To provide information about options for managing and living with these risk factors.
- To provide support for women as they pursue these options.
- To provide support for families facing these risks.
- To raise awareness of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
- To represent the concerns and interests of our high-risk constituency to the cancer advocacy community, the scientific and medical community, the legislative community, and the general public.
- To promote research specific to hereditary cancer.
- To reduce disparities among underserved populations by promoting access to information, resources and clinical trials specific to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
To read more: http://www.facingourrisk.org/