Ease Back to Exercise
This seems a good companion piece to yesterday's blog about weight gain after cancer.. Some women are able to maintain an exercise program throughout treatment, but many are not. We are all aware of the many psychological and physical benefits of regular exercise, and it does help that it is spring.
Please share your own ideas about how to get back to exercise.
Top 10 ways to ease back into an exercise plan after chemo
- Think about the recent studies that suggest regular mild or moderate exercise may reduce the recurrence rate of breast cancer.
- Start slowly and set reasonable goals. It will be counter-productive to try to do more than your body can manage.
- Find a yoga instructor who understands about recovery from cancer. Join an appropriate class that she offers.
- Make a pact with a friend to walk/go to the gym together. You are more likely to do it if someone is depending on you.
- Consider adopting a dog—and walk him.
- Find ways to exercise that are fun: roller-skating, softball, swimming.
- Remember that small changes can add up: park further from the store, walk up one or two flights of stairs instead of using an elevator, and carry your own groceries.
- Hire a personal trainer.
- Buy a new pair of sneakers.
- Reward yourself: buy a bouquet of flowers if you meet your week's goals.