The New Sleep Center
New Sleep Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham provides a state-of-the-art sleep laboratory for the diagnosis and clinical management of sleep disorders. The
New Sleep Center at BID-Needham not only provides diagnostic testing but also clinical management to ensure compliance with prescribed CPAP/Bi-Level therapy.
New Sleep Center at BID - Needham performs a variety of diagnostic tests including:
· Sleep apnea
· Complex sleep apnea
· Idiopathic hypersomnia
· Restless legs syndrome
· Periodic limb movement disorder
· Circadian rhythm disorders (including delayed and advanced sleep phase syndromes, irregular sleep-wake patterns, shift work sleep disorder, and jet lag)
· Chronic insomnia
· Parasomnias (including confusion arousals, leg cramps, nightmares, acting out dreams, periodic and rhythmic movement disorders, sleep starts, sleep talking, sleep terrors, sleepwalking, and REM sleep behavior disorder)
J. Woodrow Weiss, MD, Medical Director, The
New Sleep Center at BID-Needham & Chief of Pulmonary Medicine, BIDMC, interprets sleep study results and recommends therapies for patients with sleep disorder diagnoses.
To make an appointment, call 1-800-432-8808
View and print our
What to Expect During Your Sleep Study
You will stay in a private room with a comfortable full size bed and satellite TV. Snacks and a light breakfast will be available during your stay. Sensors will be applied to your head, face, chest and legs. Throughout the night you will be monitored by a trained sleep technologist. The technologist is responsible for making your stay comfortable and safe while obtaining a high quality sleep recording. Sleep studies are not painful and no medication is administered. The test will end and you will be able to leave between 6:00am and 7:00am. The results of your study will be sent to your doctor. Your doctor will contact you to discuss diagnosis and treatment. If there are any high risk problems discovered, you will be informed immediately.
Preparing for Your Sleep Study
Before The Day of Your Test:
• You will be responsible for any insurance deductibles or co-payments associated with your study. If you are unsure about your
out-of-pocket expenses, please contact your insurance company directly.
On The Day of Your Sleep Study Do:
• Take all your regular medications unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
• Bring with you any medications you take regularly or any medications you may need, such as inhalers or epi-pens.
• Leave all valuables (money, jewelry, etc...) at home. The New Sleep Center is not responsible for any lost items.
• Bring comfortable (non-silky) pajamas, preferably two-piece.
• Bring personal toiletry items (deodorant, toothpaste, etc...). Towels are provided.
• Bring a book or magazine to read if you want.
On The Day of Your Sleep Study Do Not:
• Nap, consume either alcohol or excessive amounts of caffeine.
• Use cream or oil products on your hair or skin.
If You Have Questions
We understand that you may have questions or concerns about your sleep study. We are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 7:00pm. If we can make your upcoming stay more comfortable please call 800.432.8808.
Changing Your Appointment
The New Sleep Center has reserved a specially equipped room and assigned a sleep technologist for your study. Please notify us, 800.432.8808, as soon as possible and within five working days before your appointment if you need to reschedule.
Directions to The New Sleep Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham
From the North, West and East take Route 128 South to Exit 19B. Proceed on Highland Avenue for approximately 1.5 miles. Bear right onto Chapel Street. Cross Great Plain Avenue onto Chestnut Street. Follow Chestnut Street for two blocks. Beth Israel Deaconess
Hospital - Needham is on the left, past the fire station and intersection with School Street.
From the South take Route 128 to Exit 17. Turn right onto Route 135. Proceed approximately 1.6 miles along Dedham Avenue (Route 135). Bear left onto School Street and follow to end at Chestnut Street.