How to Make an Appointment for a Consultation
To make an appointment for a consultation at the Traumatic Brain Injury Program, please call 617-667-4824.
• Contact your insurance company to check on their referral requirements. Depending on your plan, referral from an emergency unit or trauma service may not suffice. They may require a referral from your primary care physician.
• If you have been seen at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for traumatic brain injury in the Emergency Department, the Trauma Service or the Neurosurgery Service or if your primary care physician is on the BIDMC staff, you do not need further referral. If you were seen in the in the Emergency Rooms in Needham or Milton affiliates, you also do not need further referral.
• Otherwise you will need referral from your physician. When the referral is available, we will notify you about an appointment. Note that not all referrals will be accepted. If your physician did not provide primary records – Emergency room or discharge summaries or copies of CT or MRI scans, if available - the evaluation will be aided if you to obtain and bring to the appointment as many records as possible from your first emergency room visit right up to the time of your evaluation here.
• If the injury occurred as a result of an accident and you anticipate payment through liability insurance or workman’s compensation, you must arrange confirmation of this payment prior to the appointment.
• If there are or may be legal issues related to your injury, we strongly recommend that you confer with your attorney before your visit with us. We may be able to provide full forensic and liability record reviews and examinations, but only if we consult with your attorney or insurer prior to your visit.