How To Get the Most Out of Your Doctor's Visit
Go through this list before you visit your doctor, and take time to prepare for your visit. Be sure to write down any answers to questions that you ask your doctor as well.
1. Bring ALL your medicines, including non-prescription meds, to your visit in their bottles or bubble packs with you. This is better than a list, which can be incomplete, have incorrect doses, etc.
2. Keep a list of questions you have for your doctor and bring it with you.
3. If you have concerns that you won't remember everything your doctor tells you, write things down or bring someone with you to the visit.
4. Stay focused on your medical issues. While it is nice to socialize with your doctor, time is short, and you should get the medical discussion done first so you won't be frustrated that all your questions weren't answered.
5. Keep track of your vaccinations (flu, pneumonia, shingles, dtap for tetanus) so you have a copy of when you got them.
6. Discuss Health Care Proxy with your primary care doctor and let him/her know who you have chosen and what the phone numbers are.