High Tech and Healing
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has been at the forefront of technological innovation in health care for more than two decades. As such, BIDMC is often recognized in national surveys for its leadership in creating systems that enhance care and service.
We have been called "Most Wired," "Most Wireless," and "A Prestigious Innovator" by the American Hospital Association. Our ongoing efforts to utilize a BIDMC-wide wireless system to support a wide variety of inventory and patient care activities have been praised as cutting edge. BIDMC uses information technology to enhance quality, safety and timeliness in various ways:
- Through early and innovative use of computerized order entry, medication orders at BIDMC are routinely entered by means of special software that alerts caregivers to potential drug interactions.
- In 1999, BIDMC launched PatientSite, the country's first secure interactive web site that gives patients easy access to their medical records - and to their physicians. Today, patients can review their test results, refill prescriptions, schedule appointments and gather health-related information at
- BIDMC recently collaborated with Google Health and Microsoft HealthVault - two web-based health information exchange systems that allow patients to access and share their medical records online, securely email their doctors, make appointments and renew medication and referral requests.
- Advanced bedside monitors in our emergency department help nurses closely follow patients' vital signs - and our virtual translator service makes an interpreter available to any patient through video-conferencing.
- In our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), a web and video-conferencing system helps families at home "visit" with their newborns and connect with the NICU staff.