The cost of gas and heating oil is high, with no relief in sight. As individuals, we are feeling the pressure of rising costs in our own pockets, and BIDMC is no exception - we expect to spend more than $25 million on utilities in FY 06 alone. We can all improve BIDMC''s bottom line - and take better care of our environment - by conserving energy. Please help us work to reduce our energy consumption, ultimately reduce energy costs and be responsible caretakers of the earth.
We consistently strive to improve BIDMC's bottom line - and take better care of our environment - by conserving energy. Consider the following steps we are taking around our offices and workspaces. Most of these no-cost ways to save energy are easy to implement right away.
- Office Equipment
- Turning off any machines and equipment when not needed and during non-business hours. This includes computers, monitors, printers, copiers and even task lighting.
- Climate Control
- Adjusting thermostats up when cooling and down when heating, especially when the building or area of the building is not occupied, such as on weekends or during non-work hours.
- In winter, in non-clinical areas, setting the thermostat between 65 and 68 degrees during the day or business hours, and 60 to 65 degrees at night during non-business hours.
- In summer, in non-clinical areas, setting the thermostat between 78 and 80 degrees during the day or business hours, and above 80 degrees at night for non-business hours.
- In summer, closing window blinds during the day to keep out the heat. In winter, open blinds to let in the sun.
- Turning off lights when not needed. It is not true that turning lights on and off uses more electricity than just leaving the lights on. Turning off fluorescent lights saves energy, extends overall lamp life and reduces replacement costs.
- Reducing lighting. Removing lamps (task lamps, desk lamps, etc.) in areas where there is already sufficient lighting.
If you see something that needs addressing, or if you have an energy conservation suggestion, plesae send an e-mail to our new e-mail address,
There's a lot of work being done and even more left to do. Please help us work to reduce our energy consumption, ultimately reduce energy costs and be responsible caretakers of the earth. Look for more information in the coming weeks about energy conservation and savings. We've just begun to raise the awareness about this very expensive issue! We look forward to hearing your ideas.